Elimination Diet Green Smoothie - Kale, Apple, Ginger, Lime, and Basil



After feeling pretty rundown for a few weeks, I decided it was time to detox and begin a cleanse, and this time my husband has decided to join me.  I have to admit that I never thought I'd see the day where he'd be drinking tea and green smoothies, but I'm happy to have the support.

It's been about a year and a half since my last cleanse, so I was overdue.  After a stressful first half of the year and a couple vacations with plenty of indulgence, it seemed like the perfect time to reboot.  

We're following an elimination diet and cutting out coffee, alcohol, dairy, corn, and gluten, as well as a few other foods that tend to cause sensitivities or are harder on the digestive system.

I'm excited to work on more elimination diet recipes during our journey and am sharing one of our favorite green smoothies to start.  We are using some great kale and apples from the farmer's market for this smoothie and blending them up with some ginger and lime for flavor and cleansing properties.

When you can't have your morning cup of coffee, give this smoothie a try.


Elimination Diet Green Smoothie - Makes 2 Servings

7 large kale leaves, stems removed and leaves chopped
2 medium apples, cored and chopped (no need to peel if organic)
A 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
1 lime, zest and pith removed
Leaves from one sprig of basil
Pinch of salt
Water
Ice

Place all the ingredients, except the ice, in the blender with about 1/2 cup water.

Blend on high speed until smooth (timing depends on the strength of your blender).  Add more water if needed.


When the smoothie is well blended, add in a handful of ice and blend until the ice is incorporated.



Serve over ice (with a big straw!).


No comments:

Post a Comment