Day 17 Goop Cleanse Elimination Diet: Socca (the Gluten-Free Answer to Crêpes)

When C and I were in Nice last September, we discovered Socca.  Authentic Socca from a stand at the market that was cooked in a wood-burning oven.  It was utterly delicious, and I had sworn that I would attempt to make my own Socca when we got home.
Four months passed, and I finally bought a bag of Garbanzo Bean Flour, predicting that I would need to bake something while I was on the Goop Cleanse.  And then I remembered the delicious Socca and set out to make my own in a cast iron skillet.  Not completely traditional, but delicious nonetheless.
Socca is a savory gluten-free pancake/crêpe made of garbanzo bean (chickpea) flour.  You can add your own seasonings to the batter, including rosemary, cumin, or sauteed onions, to customize it to your taste.  You can also cook the Socca until it reaches the consistency that you prefer - you might like yours really crispy at the edges or soft and custardy.  The recipe is yours to tweak as you like.

C decided that Socca would be the perfect snack to eat after an evening of drinking - not that you need to be drunk to enjoy Socca, but it would definitely satisfy a late-night craving for pizza or cheesy bread.  So if you suspect that you're going to be headed out for a late night, it might be a good idea to whip up a batch of this super easy batter so it's ready when the craving comes calling.

2 comments:

  1. I've really enjoyed reading through your journey and am excited and motivated to embrace clean(er) eating again. It is a lifestyle and it is very challenging to stick with it when you don't have close family or friends supporting you. But man do I feel better when I'm eating clean and maintaining a regular workout or energetic activity. I feel better, I sleep better, my mind is clearer and there is less stress when you take good care of your body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I think the lessons you learn following a clean(er) diet are long-lasting, even after you reintroduce foods back into your diet. You never forget how good you feel when you're eating well and staying active. That knowledge definitely plays a part in life decisions that I make everyday.

      We only get the opportunity to go through this life once. It pays to spend some time figuring out what works for you and helping yourself feel good on a daily basis.

      Delete