Sunday Morning Breakfast - Banana Nut Pancakes


I make pancakes for breakfast just about every Sunday morning.  The ritual feeds my love for breakfast foods and lets me try out a new pancake recipe every week.  Some are better than others, but pancakes always bring a certain amount of comfort.  I'd probably eat them for every meal if I could justify it, and if I didn't hate the process of standing over the stove and flipping so much.

These pancakes have a denser texture than most pancakes due to the oats and whole wheat flour, but they also taste a whole lot like a piece of banana nut bread (one of my childhood favorites).  You make the batter in the blender (the only way I make pancake batter anymore) and cook them the same way that you would cook any other pancake on a griddle.

I don't have a pancake griddle, which is a large part of the reason why I have so much disdain for the pancake-making process, so I just use a non-stick pan and then transfer the finished pancakes to a baking pan in a warm oven (a trick I learned from my stepmom years ago).  All the pancakes stay warm until I'm finished making the last one, so no one gets any cold pancakes and the cook gets to sit down and eat breakfast with everyone else.

I served these with some fresh blueberries, roughly chopped walnuts, and maple syrup.  By the time we finished our pancakes, C and I were both full, but still wanted about 10 more of these.

Banana Nut Pancakes (Make about 6 medium-sized pancakes)
1 ripe banana
3/4 cup almond milk (low-fat regular and soy work just fine)
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 Tablespoon almond butter (I use the unsalted crunchy version)
3 Tablespoons plain nonfat Greek yogurt
2 Tablespoons walnuts, toasted and chopped

Preheat your oven to about 200-250 degrees (or the "warm" setting if you have it).  Place a piece of parchment on a half sheet pan and put the pan in the oven.

Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat while you prepare the pancake batter.  You won't need any butter or oil if you use a good non-stick pan.  If you don't have one, you can coat your pan with a layer of vegetable oil or use a good cooking spray so that the pancakes don't stick.  

You'll need to experiment with your own stovetop - mine is fine with medium heat for the first half of the pancakes, but then I need to turn it down or the pancakes start burning.

1.  Add all the ingredients, except the walnuts, to a blender.  Mix on medium-high speed for about 30 seconds, until all the ingredients look incorporated.

2.  Start making pancakes!  Pour the batter directly from the pitcher of the blender onto the hot pan.  Sprinkle a few pieces of chopped walnuts directly on the pancake.  Wait for the little bubbles to form across the surface of the pancake, check the underside to make sure it's brown (it will take a couple minutes), and then flip it over.
The other side will take about a minute to cook.  Then, transfer the cooked pancake to the pan in the oven to stay warm and start on the next pancake.

3.  When you've finished using all the batter, take the pan out of the oven and distribute the pancakes to the plates.  Spread a little vegetable oil spread (like Earth Balance) on the pancakes if you like, and serve with some fresh fruit and nuts of your choice and maple syrup.

I make big pancakes so that I don't have to make as many of them.  You could definitely get more pancakes out of this recipe if you made them smaller.  In any case, here are the nutrition facts for each pancake if you get 6 pancakes out of the recipe:

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 82 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories 
137
Calories from Fat 
38
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 
4.3g
7%
Trans Fat 
0.0g
Cholesterol 
0mg
0%
Sodium 
89mg
4%
Total Carbohydrates 
21.2g
7%
Dietary Fiber 
3.2g
13%
Sugars 
3.7g
Protein 
4.9g
Vitamin A 2%Vitamin C 3%
Calcium 6%Iron 6%

No comments:

Post a Comment