Gruyère-Stuffed Turkey Burgers with Slow-Roasted Tomatoes



I'm aware of the fact that I already posted a turkey burger recipe and that perhaps it's premature to revisit this dish.  But when the summer heat hits, can you really have too many good burger recipes?  I think not.  And besides, it's Gwyneth's fault.

These Gruyère-Stuffed Turkey Burgers with Slow-Roasted Tomatoes were perfect for Memorial Day, and I served them with some sweet potato fries and sautéed fresh corn.   The burgers were inspired by recipes I found in Gwyneth Paltrow's new cookbook, "My Father's Daughter."

First, I made the slow-roasted tomatoes during the day.  I was a tad skeptical when I saw the recipe because the cooking time was over 3 hours, and I wondered if it was really worth making tomatoes that took the entire afternoon to cook.

I'll save you the suspense - it was definitely worth it.  I had never cooked tomatoes like this before, and they were really quite wonderful.  I am totally looking forward to putting them on sandwiches (grilled cheese will never be the same), salads, and, the most eagerly awaited pairing, homemade pizza.


I really just followed Gwyneth's recipe and added a few red pepper flakes to the tops of the tomatoes to add a little bit of heat.  They took the full five hours to cook, but these were really thick tomatoes, so I presume that smaller ones would cook more quickly.

They're sweeter than sundried tomatoes, and full of rich flavor, and I highly recommend giving them a shot when you're home on a lazy Sunday.  Make a bunch for the week, throw them in the fridge, and you'll be really glad you waited the 5 hours.      

The turkey burgers were also inspired by one of Gwyneth's recipes, but I definitely changed them up a bit.  I used green onion instead of yellow so that I wouldn't have to sauté it, and a grated carrot for some extra nutrients and filler.  I used the broiler because we don't have a grill at the apartment, but if you have one at home, by all means, go heat it up and make these outside.

Gruyère-Stuffed Turkey Burgers (Makes 2 burgers)
1/2 pound lean ground turkey (you could also use ground beef)
1 green onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, grated
1/4 teaspoon salt (I use Lawry's seasoned salt for burgers)
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
Dash of Worcestershire sauce (never tastes quite like a burger to me without it)
1/4 cup coarsely-grated Gruyère cheese (or another favorite)


2 multigrain or whole wheat burger buns or English muffins, toasted and buttered



Preheat the broiler or your grill to high.  Prepare a half sheet pan or baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.

1. Mix together the turkey, green onion, carrot, salt, pepper, rosemary, and Worcestershire sauce in a mixing bowl with a fork.  Make sure the seasonings and vegetables are distributed in the meat.

2.  Divide the mixture into quarters.  Pick up one quarter and form it into a pattie.  Place the pattie on the parchment paper.  Do the same with another quarter.  You should have two somewhat thin patties on your baking pan.  Put half of the grated cheese in the center of each of the patties.


3.  With the remaining two quarters of the meat, make two more patties and place one on the top of each of the cheese-topped patties.  The cheese should be sandwiched between the two patties.
Cook the burgers on the grill or under the broiler (I used the broiler) for about 5 minutes on each side.  The burgers should be browned and firm when they are finished cooking.

Serve them on the toasted or grilled burger buns or English muffins, and add your favorite toppings.  I added one slow-roasted tomato to the top each burger and the flavor was wonderful (and the melted cheese didn't hurt either).



The burgers were an easy and filling dinner choice, and I might even cook up a couple more for tonight.  I'm sure that the "sandwich man" in the house wouldn't mind a bit.  Thanks, Gwyneth!

No comments:

Post a Comment